Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Intergender fights

Hello,

the question I would like to discuss is whether it makes sense or not to break with a certain tradition in most or all martial arts styles: the tradition not to let men and women fight against each other. Most fighting sports are gender-seperated. Does that make sense - for example due to different physical qualities of the sexes? Or is it time - now in the 21st century - to let men/women, respectiviely boys/girls compare their skills? even in official tournaments?

It's pretty common in the Western Martial Arts for men and women to spar against each other. This is particularly true when weapons work is involved.

There are period wma references to women fighting men so I don't see why not. Certainly in my class they are expected compete against the men which they do do with great gusto.


Visiting memory city when I was taking my brown belt grading (in Khong Chang) back in the late sixties I remember sparring against female black belts. I distinctly remember that their kicks and punches hurt as much as those of the male black belts.


Certainly in my jujutsu classes men and women are expected to mix it up. After all the predator on the street isn't going to back off just he's facing a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment