Thursday, August 25, 2011

Strong emotions and meditation

Allowing yourself space seems essential to me. Dissolving is always good, but relaxation is key.  If you are having difficulty in relaxing into the dissolving procceses, then I suggest focusing solely on what will bring about relaxation. Some thoughts:

 
* Your favorite non-addictive opportunities to induce relaxation
* Time in nature with good air quality...allowing your eye to rest on the panoramas of nature
* Massage...even self massage* Vitamin C / High antioxident diet
* Warm baths
* Extra sleep
 
The last three are recommendations from Water Method instructors at weekend workshops, when the body may be processing/releasing more 'gunk.'
 
Best to you in finding what works best for you.


I like the first response you got - lots of extra sleep, relaxation, sitting in nature.  I honestly don't know what will best help you, but here is what works for me:

- realizing that my former 70% might be my current 100% and taking things extra easy - my first impulse is to amp up and drive through, but experience has taught me that being gentle with myself reaps better rewards
- not adding more dissolving to my daily routine, as I would have an undercurrent that is trying to avoid experiencing pain and loss
- adding more simple breathing, or possibly a walking meditation, and when thoughts or emotions come up, turning my attention to experiencing them as thoroughly as possible, without asking them to move or change or hurry along, in particular noticing my body sensations with alertness to any old memories that come up (and then, if it seems right in that moment, intentionally releasing whatever came up)
- deliberately adding one easy task outside my usual routine which requires overt action on my part, every day, to keep myself open to the world (a walk around the block, a nice bath, an hour volunteering, a phone call)

I'm going through some full-on emotional upheaval at the moment, and I'm wondering how best to respond to this in terms of my meditation practice.

I've been doing inner dissolving for several years, and lately doing quite a lot of practice. I've also been through a very traumatic break up and am feeling generally very wobbly, with a sense of the ground having disappeared beneath my feet.

At the moment I have loads of time on my hands, since I'm a cover teacher, and the hols are long, and no knowing when the work will come in.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do in this situation? Would you recommend making use of the time to do loads of dissolving, or are there times when it's a good idea to back off, or maybe focus on less intense practices like breathing, or just sitting and letting stuff move through?

It seems a shame not to use the time I have to work on myself, but at the same time I want to avoid putting too much strain on my system by stirring up too much emotion at a time when I'm alread feeling overwhelmed.
Any thoughts/suggestions from experienced meditators gratefully appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment