Tuesday, November 9, 2010

from the mouth of a babe...or a new qigong student

below is an email I got from a fairly "young" (in experience) student.

As I was telling my class I had some difficulties in relating to the metal for the lungs she came up with a great observation, I asked to write it to me and here it is posted below.

"When hearing in Qi Gong class about the "metal element" that benefits the lungs, it seemed odd at first. After more thought, I realized the "metal element" fits with my understanding from Western medicine of the role of the metal element iron that is a crucial part of the hemoglobin molecule in our red blood cells. Hemoglobin picks up the oxygen from our lungs and transports it via the bloodstream to all of the body's tissues. Each molecule of hemoglobin contains 4 iron ions. Each iron ion binds 1 oxygen molecule, so each hemoglobin can carry 4 oxygen molecules. Each red blood cell contains 250 million hemoglobin! This metal element is indeed important for our lungs.

Also, our body stores the iron we eat in the liver until it is needed to make new red blood cells.
 
It's so amazing to see how people differ in their interpretations and found a lot more than I was expecting from one question! : )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment