Sunday, December 4, 2011

First Class!

Anybody first Class in this week from today! Any last minute advice?

I taught my first class a few weeks ago. I'm actually teaching my third tomorrow. My advice is this: know you'll screw up and accept it and just have fun! 

One thing I did for my second class was write on GIANT Post Its my choreography notes. I could see them easier to glance at and my class could "cheat" if they needed to. Since I don't have cuing down to a science yet, it was a great thing to do!

By the way, if your group is new to Turbo Kick too they really will only get about 4 layers or less. I didn't believe it, but low and behold, that's what happened. 

Yes, definitely write my notes out on something you can see so you can glance down at them. Keep your layers simple. You will do great! I haven't been teaching too long..:a little over a year, and the other day I froze during the warmup and couldnt remember what to do after the double bob and punches! Luckily there was another instructor in there and she started marching. Lol see, we will all mess up from time to time, but as long as we can laugh it off, we will be fine. :) 

Have fun and let us know how your first class goes. What round are u teaching?

Know that you will mess something up & embrace that. Focus on having fun & keeping your participants safe. If that means big ole' monster cheat sheets, then cheat away. Let them know that safety & a solid workout are your priority. You may not even need the notes, but with them you can have fun, monitor exertion levels & engage your students :o) Without the notes, you may prove that you nailed memorization, but at the expense of an amazing experience -- you build classes based on experience, not memorization skills.

Get a really good nights rest the night before! I was so nervous that I could not sleep, but it didn't help that I kept on practicing late that night. Lack of sleep just intensified my fears of being on stage and I completely blanked out and froze with a deer in headlights look on my face! Thankfully my second time went much better as I accepted my 1st experience and really it was not the end of the world and as I reflected I realized that in teaching group fitness, its the students experience in your class that matters the most! So I quit worrying about me and chose to be positive, excited, and full of energy for them. Just go with it...have fun and your class will too! :) 

This is all good stuff! I love the advice and reading your own personal stories. I'm going with R45. The presenter here kind of taught me how to break it down even more so it should be fairly easy for people new to Turbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment