Friday, September 17, 2010

Advice needed; instructor with fibromyalgia

I used to be active here a few years ago, when I first got certified to teach Turbo, but then my fibromyalgia got really out of control & I quit Turbo for awhile.

At any rate, I'm back with a vengeance! I took my TK certification in June and earned a Gold ranking. But I'm not sure how to handle my fibro in a class. I always give my workouts my best effort, but some days, that best is noticeably less than other days. I am not going to try and hide it from anyone & will be very upfront, but there will inevitably be a day when I just can't do it. I'm the only one around here TK certified, so a sub isn't an option.

When I took my AFAA Primary Group Fitness exam, I talked to the AFAA woman about it a little and she said, "just coach on your bad days!" But I'm not sure how well that would translate into an intense cardio workout.

Any suggestions/advice from experienced trainers? 

When you instruct multiple classes during the week you can't go full boar in every class. You will burn yourself out.  What you do is you give the appearance that you are going all out, by using your facial expressions and exaggerated movements.  It will help you convserve energy.

Good to know! I LOVE Optimum Nutrition products, their whey and casein protein powder are the best stats wise for the great taste and price that I've had. Per scoop: 120 calories, 1g fat, 24g protein, only 3 carbs I'll have to check out their Amino Energy once I'm done with what I'm currently using for my BCAA's and nitric oxide through Controlled Labs.


No comments:

Post a Comment