Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Exercises mentioned

Basically had the same session on Monday, Tuesday, Sunday and Monday again...Mon and Tue worked with Chris and Gov, on Sunday and Monday just Chris.

Boxing boxing and more boxing. Shadowboxing, partnered footwork drills, focus gloves, sparring and cadence drills. Did I mention boxing? These guys are really soaking it up, especially the footwork that I am having them do, much more active than they are used to but they seem to be getting better each session.

On Monday Chris and I worked mostly on the concept of throwing your own short hook inside your opponents hook. I introduced him to this idea on Sunday towards the end of our session so I wanted to get right back at it again since he seemed a natural for this shot. This short hook was more akin to a corkscrew hook that just cut inside the angle and lands with a great rate. By the end of yesterdays session Chris was hitting about 50% of these in sparring which is awesome. So no grappling and no weapons for over a week...sort of a bummer but we will have time aplenty for that. I had some killer sunburn any way so the idea of grappling was right out for me. It is nice seeing these guys improve like this, Hell I even get some great training in as well even though i am mostly in a coaching role when these guys come out.

I don't think so. These are just standing variations of now standard exercises such as the "Superman" and back-extensions. I think the question is also one of repetitions, training frequency etc. Any exercise can over-trained/overdone. Some exercises have a lower threshold for causing long-term problems than others.


In the beginning pages(page no.30-40) of his book Physical culture and Self Defence, Robert Fritzsimmons gives some exercise to school boys( of course,anybody can do it ) for general health. He describes four exercises.The third exercise is alternate (to and fro ) side wise bending ( left side to right side ) and the fourth is alternate ( to and fro ) forward and backward bending. The exercises are done in standing position.

My question is , won't the continuous to and fro motion of the back bone (especially in the fourth exercise, where bending forward and backward seems extremely dangerous for the backbone) cause its harm as the range of motion seems unnatural and harmful?

I have been setting up a little website for our fledgling group, would you let me know what you think of this short page on arm strength for sword work?

Thats a good basic selection, i would add some leverage work...ie, clubbells (expensive) or sledgehammers. You can beat an old large tire with the sledgehammer (great power endurance work), or look up Macebell on youtube for some ideas (a mace bell is basically a nice looking sledge). The tire beating will definitely hit all the muscles that you are aiming at, plus you will find that you can play with the tire, flipping it or throwing it (depending on size). You can mimic many wrestling throws, and it is fun, as is the sledge. 

If you want to use a sledgehammer also check out the shovelglove site.

Looks good. I agree that it is still basic and needs some more material added. Some articles would be a good place to start. Maybe a series of articles on the various exercises you use to warm up and build strength. One article per exercise. A page or so would suffice. Maybe a page on what historic resources you use. But I like the design. Very bright and inviting.

Hopefully the How to Box by Frank Tousey, 1882 will be next on the list followed by Boxing by D. C. Hutchison, 1913. Thanks in advance! To be honest, I've finished Broadsword and have already started Sandow and Lewis' "Wrestling." But Tousey is high on my list too. The biggest problem with it is that my copy is so old and fragile it's literally disintegrating. It would never hold up to my scanner so I'll have to go the book-box/pedestal method and photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment