Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Best weapon combo for all round use

Question time. :-)

What would be the best combination of three (ancient or medieval) weapons to have to take on all comers? I've been thinking the warhammer may be a great all rounder when used with a shield. But what do you guys think?

I am partial to axes, big, small, just about any size. From a hand axe to a sparth axe. Great stopping power plus intimidation...something very scary about an axe whirling overhead. Maybe I have just seen too many movies.

A lot depends on what you are facing. Are your oppents in full plate or simple mail or no armor at all? What weapons are they using and how well are they trained?

I'm presuming for purposes of this discussion no missle weapons or firearms are included in the mix. It depends, of course, on a number of factors, including the anticipated threat, e.g., armored or not, multiple assailants or not, etc.

I know this choice reflects my own (Fiore-based) background, but I'd probably want to go with a spear (roughly 7 feet), a longsword and an arming sword. And of course a dagger should be assumed, and thus not counted as one of the three. A halberd would be a good substitute for the spear if one were skilled in it (I'm not).

It would be interesting (I don't know why you're asking in the first place) to look at some of the historical examples. Polish hussars carried a lance, an estoc/koncerz and a saber, which is a pretty versatile combo. And some of the Byzantine heavy cavalry seemed to carry at least one of everything.

I can totally see you as a, um, uh, what's the singular of streltsi? Arquebus, bardiche and saber. It's you, dude.

Okay off the top of my head:

Short hafted- long-bladed spear and a shield. Shorter type arming sword as back-up weapon. A Kinda "mash-up" of Zulu Warrior and Roman Legionnaire. I'd consider axe with shield, certainly. I'm not fast really so with an axe some extra cover would be urgent. 

Oh, about categories, I think by all round I did mean generally, don't know what the opponent is wearing but I do have what could be called transitional plate reinforced maille, steel cuisses, greaves, vaumbraces and gauntlets, shoulders, spangen...best to take a look maybe...easier than describing it...http://sites.google.com/site/idahosentinelsswordclub/members (me in the first picture).

What I'm fooling with at the moment is: Bastardsword (for use with shield or buckler one handed) or as longsword two handed Warhammer (Use with shield, one handed, to cope with the possibility of an armoured opponent) Spear (about 6ft) for 2 handed use...  Xiphos (Greek Shortsword) nice slasher with a really nasty point for getting through armour chinks... Any good as a combo?

I like a 40 watt phased plasma rifle  a lot. "The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."
 
Since the time of ancient Greeks and Romans, the effective use of shields has been the unique feature of the western way of war.So using gladiator type large rectangular shields with lances or hasta and roman type short swords and if required a mace is enough to take on all comers.But you have to know how to fight and maneuver with a large shield.

Without shields a quarterstaff is enough to handle both single and multiple opponents. Forrest Bill is effective against armored opponents as it can trip the opponent. But you should be well versed in flourishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment