Saturday, October 30, 2010

techniques that can be used to help those who train alone

Hi guys. I am getting in this a little late, but if you teach the striking points form the begining, it is not hard for a bigner to begin visiaulizing them. As far as training, I teach my students to firstuse their brain in any situation. Some teachers hold back on teaching stiking poitns and visualization to beginers, but I have found they pick it up very easily, however, I probably teach more points then you might, I usually do more than others, fon't know.  But bob would be better. then to use just a punching bag markie warie board ect. while they have a place. using something like bob is better for a beginner. if they are practising alone 

Actaully I do not belive in Bob myself..I usually use other students LOL, however, I also came up through the ranks without Bob..  That is how they learn the fastest.  If they have a teacher who knows how to teach the points without getting them hurt.  Not talking aobut you, just saying some teachers don't know how to do that, or won't take the time.
"Those who are afraid of death, never truly live. Living life to the fullest means taking a chance". Yes i perfer live pepole too. but we are talking about training a lone. and thats why i like bob. because it is so close to a real person. when no one is around and my point is it helps them to visulazie better then from merory alone

The closer you get to reality the better: IMO a human shaped target gives both psychological and target oriented advantages to the person practicing full contact strikes. Yes rick and for the bigner it is better. in my oppinon. now as you move on with your training. it may not be as important.

I am not saying it is not good(I guess), I am only saying that if a student is taught correctly about bunkai, then they have no problems imagining the target.  and you have to remember NOT everyone can afford Bob.  So people need to learn to use everything.  Again though I didn't have one to use, and I did just fine.
 
Then again, it seems using the mindfor anything including imagination has gone the way of the DoDo bird at times.    Again, if you can afford one that is great,  but keep in mind we all have to use what we can.  So, in light of not having a "Bob", makiwara boards and imagination will do.

Having a "Bob" is good for those who can afford it. In light of the fact though that most people may not be able to, there are other ways to teach and learn the stiking points. Use a mirror. You don't have to have much imagination to see the points in front of you. When you teach the points from the begining, and have the studetns use a mirror to see the points and where they are at, then that can help them when they are alone. Like teaching kicks and punches.

The "Bob" and this is the best to work alone thing, I think is like telling someone that if the lock the arm out, then the shoulder becomes one of the weakest points in the body, and can be a good DEFENSIVE move. If is hard for some folks to understand that unless you actually show it to them.

There are many techniques that can be used to help those who train alone. Especailly if you don't have alot of money. Again, I am not saying "bob" is a bad thing, just that it is NOT the only thing.

Going back to some of the really old ways of training will help anyone.
Just my thoughts though. :^)

No comments:

Post a Comment