Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Crunch Time + Round 41 - DON'T READ IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED

Tonite I had the pleasure of experiencing Round 41 for the first time from my friend Sam, a most OUTSTANDING Turbo Kick instructor if I do say so myself! She really knows how to pack the house! Perfect cueing, and moreover, she shows *just* the perfect amount of choreography for the first couple of times with a new round to build a strong foundation before addingon the additional layers.

We started with Crunch Time, which is a 15 minute ab class that is basically like Ab Ripper 200 but for 15 minutes, no breaks. I desperately needed it. But then the real fun began.. Round 41's warmup song, "Get Freaky" is very energetic and sets the tone for a literally breathtaking class! For punches we did step uppercut x2, then a double knee to the side with an uppercut. After that we did 2 back fists to 12:00, twist, then 2 left knees, 2 right. Part b was Clockwork front and side, and ginga. That's we did for that it was perfect. We hadn't had a ginga in awhile and it was nice to practice it some more. The best part about Round 41? Both sections 3 and 4 HAVE LOTS OF KICKS!

Boy oh Boy! For me kickboxing is about kicks and lifting that leg burns a LOT of calories! We did step step side kick to the mirror, two jacks back, reminiscent of R5 and R22. Then you ski 3 with a knee from side to side (I went low impact here) then 4 single back kicks, 2 knees. For part b we did
upper, upper, cross cross "pound the wall" jab knee singles, then doubles. Part 4: Speedbag pivot R and L 4 uppercuts, side kick left, then right, back kick, knee. Part b was 4 high crosses, 4 middle, 2 slow low down R then L.
 
Then we twisted.

Turbo: FUN! I pleaded for Sam to do it three times, which she did (thanks, Sam!) I wouldn't say the music for Turbo is anything memorable, but the drills in it are really good! Lots of high impact if you want it, burpees, jacks, your feet are often off the floor. My favorite part is in the beginning where you do these lunge, tap downs, then propel up x4, then you do it with a jack instead of propelling up.

Recovery: Not my favorite, to be honest. You speedbag hop back x4, cross it back up x4, step upper x2, step cross x2, then 7 Step. It was a little dancey for me but one could always make it more athletic if they wanted to. I would probably do instead of a speedbag hop back is 2 jacks back, and instead of the 7 Step maybe a hook hook up up knee knee x2. Part B though is HOT! You do lo hi to the R x7 and on 8 do an opposite knee lift, repeat other side. Then we twisted front and side Finale: My favorite section of all! Hi middle punches with quick feet, then lunging jab at 12 and 3, 4 crosses, 3 side kicks and a knee. LOVED THIS!

She did abs after that but I figured I got my abs done already with Crunch Time, and I was ready for a shower because R41 is a sweatfest! When I got home my very own beloved copy of R41 was waiting for me! I am in the camp of much preferring the new packaging. It's better for the environment, and the disks are safer, so many times the plastic spindles in the other cases break and then your disks get scratched. It also takes up less space on the shelf.

I should be getting my copy of Turbo Fire soon at which point I will review those workouts as well. I'm DYING to experience it! I've read so many great things about HIIT and tabata drills lately, and I'm jumping on this bandwagon!

Turbofied and very greedy, can never get too much Turbo!

No comments:

Post a Comment