Tuesday, June 15, 2010

make yourself the best

I've been teaching since 2000, and I started in my garage with 1 kid (he is now an instructor at a JKD school in Los Angeles) and now I work in a 2700 sq ft facility with 2 training rooms, a fairly large library, a changing room with two stalls and a couple of bathrooms. All this on a corner of a main street at a stop light.

That being said, I still work very hard just to let people know that there is such a thing as WMA. I have my friends and students working to tell others about the school, and I work very hard to get information about WMA out there. In fact, every summer I was tempted to throw in the towel but my wife helped me to stick to it and keep working.

I'm working on getting into the local 4th of July parade this year, too. That is something to look at, too. it's not easy, but if you keep going at it (maybe working out in a park so people can see you and what you are doing) there will be people hearing about you and what you are doing.

There are some good ideas here, such as doing a demo for a local German American association, maybe a demo at a local jr. high school for their renaissance studies at the end of the year (I do about 6 jr. high schools a year). There are also the possibilities of sci-fi conventions (we do BayCon every year, DunderCon) and this coming weekend I'm doing a demo and presentation at a computer gaming convention called The L.A. Computer Fair.

So my advice Odysseus is to just keep doing what you are doing and if you always work to make yourself the best you can be then others will want to be the best they can be, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment